Phil Cohen established Phil's Drug Store at Shepherd's Bush Market in 1930. In the early 1960s, he began to specialise in cosmetics and hair care for black women, soon pulling in customers, as West Indian Gazette reported, from all over the country. As the Gazette recorded, 'all the famous cosmetic brands can be found at Phil's, especially American cosmetics with its history of special preparations designed to cater to smart American Negro women. […] A special selection of Black Wigs to enhance glamour can be secured there as well. And there are Stretching Combs, Curlers, Hair Wavers, Electric Combs.'